Monday, January 28, 2008

Ani's Eats
Hello hello! Well, I have finally made something else from Ani Phyo's book that I can share with you. First, this is Mexican Squash Rice



Now, I'm going to digress a bit here to explain something about me making recipes from books. A while ago there was some ongoing debate in the food blogging community about when you were allowed to post a recipe as your own, without risking copyright breaches or anything. The eventual conclusion was that if 3 ingredients were changed, the recipe was now your own.

I was shocked! I don't think I've ever made a recipe without changing at least 3 ingredients! I could publish every single recipe that I make here on the blog! If I say I've made a recipe from a book, everyone must think that I mean I've followed it word for word, which I soooooo haven't. Because, I don't have the same tastes as the book author. I hate ginger. Walnuts and mushrooms (literally) make me vomit. I have to change recipes!

For example, in the recipe above I added some almond and hazelnuts and a pinch of cumin (which was really a good decision) and removed some other things... I can't even remember. It was really tasty! Unfortunately, about 15 or 20 mouthfuls in, I began feeling horribly nauseous and had to stop eating. Ew. I have now discovered that, like walnuts, hazelnuts make me vomit. I didn't actually vomit but in the future I am steering well clear of hazelnuts.



Aaaanyway, this is another recipe from Ani's book. Sort of. It is very loosely based on the recipe Save-the-Tuna Wraps (which is on P 179, if you're interested). In the book it is made using the Save-the-Tuna Pate which is where I started changing things. I have read a number of 'zucchini hummus' recipes and plenty of 'almond hummus' recipes so I decided to combine them... with very successful results, if I do say so myself! I'll be making this again soon and I'll perfect the recipe then... I might even be generous and share it with you!

I'm going to do some prettying-up of my blog template now, so maybe when you read this it will look totally different! I hope I don't ruin everything, lol!
Have a beautiful day!

15 Comments:

At 12:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI girl I am now a raw vegan,

Technically plagiarism means using someon'es idea without credit. It is ok to credit someone and then make up your own recipe.

That is just out of respect you do not have to do it, because alot of these raw food cookbooks are carbon copies. I swear if another one comes out with spiralized pasta I will die..

suvine.com

 
At 3:58 am, Blogger Got 2 Trot Librarian said...

I like the new layout!

 
At 9:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Freedom! The copyright laws are different in australia and that 3-ingredient rule doesn't necessarily apply. Email or message me and I'll explain more.

Love the new template!

And I love Ani's book, really good food that isn't all about replicating meaty stuff. I love her almond ginger pate in nori rolls!

 
At 8:41 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the new layout!

You rock Girl!

 
At 9:42 am, Blogger Theresa said...

I like the new colours and layout. It's funny that three ingredients is all that stands between a recipe from a book and an original, even if you keep all the prep methods the same. I generally don't post recipes unless I have substantially changed the end result. But even then, I'm usually too lazy to type it up so it just doesn't get posted :)

 
At 4:25 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks guys!

I wasn't actually planning on posting any recipes with only 3 ingredients changed... I personally think it's 'cheating' to claim a recipe as your own with so little alteration. Also, that was only something I read on blogs so I don't trust it too much, lol.

I was just trying to make a joke about how much I alter recipes! Ahh, how communication gets confusing when there's no body language, intonation etc etc. Anyway, no harm done.

Regarding the layout - thanks for the compliments. It is actually a really old layout that I used to have, the blog has reverted back to it while I'm trying to write my own template. Wow that is hard! Everything all over the place at the moment, but hopefully I'll get there.

Suvine, I agree that there are lots of similarities in the books but in a way I think it's good because they are all really so a lot of people would only be able to buy one. At least this way everyone gets a good selection of recipes no matter which book they buy.

Hey Kate, I haven't tried much from Ani's book but what I have has been really good.

Thanks Maria!!

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger LizNoVeggieGirl said...

no worries - as long as you DO change things in the original recipe, then it's okay to post it :0)

isn't Ani Phyo's "cook"book amazing?!?!! I love it, and have made quite a few dishes from it with great success!!

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger TokyoMade(東京メイド) said...

Your photos are gorgeous! A real inspiration, thanks.

I adore Ani's book there are so many tasty treats to whip up.

Great blog!

 
At 4:26 pm, Blogger Jaya Sri Gaurangi devi dasi said...

Good Tidings! This is Jayasri from the Raw Spirit Festival! Congrats to your beautiful blog! You are invited! Would you like to help promote the raw spirit festival? Get in touch with me at
jayasri @ rawspirit.com
http://www.tinyurl.36uqes

Bliss Forth!
Jayasri

 
At 9:28 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi freedom. i really like your blog. the food looks great and it looks really professional now. you should start a raw catering business. travis (from raw pleasure (torachanau) by the way i gave my dog ned a pat for you)

 
At 3:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,
My name is Prabhu, I work with Dhrumil at welikeitraw.com
We’re collecting the contact emails of people in the raw food community and I was hoping you could send me yours. Would you mind shoot me an email at prabhu@dboost.com
The reason I’m asking for it is that Dhrumil and the team at We Like It Raw are trying to unite all the bloggers with a common sub-site.
Thanks!
Prabhu

 
At 8:46 am, Blogger Unknown said...

those look really good!

 
At 11:46 pm, Blogger n/a said...

Oh, those look so good - I love any type of wrap!

 
At 8:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This article ρrovіdeѕ cleaг
idea designed foг the neω people of blogging, that aсtuаllу how to do blogging and ѕite-building.



Fеel free to ѕurf to my ωeblog - granite colors

 
At 5:15 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thіnk the admіn оf this web ѕite is in fact woгking hard
for hіs web sitе, for the reason thаt
hеre eνery data is quality based stuff.

Here is my wеb blog Caг Insurance ()

 

Post a Comment

<< Home