Friday, December 21, 2007

A Quick Hello and a Meme
Hi guys, I've been absent because I've been back in South Australia catching up with family and friends for the past two weeks. For the last 5 days I've been doing work experience at Monarto Zoo, the largest open plain zoo in Australasia. I'm totally not a fan of zoos usually and even though this zoo is very large I don't ultimately agree with it. But I had to do work experience somewhere and I found this a better option than an intensive piggery, lol! I had an incredible time and will post photos soon.
For now, a meme I found at 'Walking the Vegan Line.'

1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? Paper.. we tend to use the same paper for at least 2 or 3 Christmases, carefully recycling it.
2. Real or artificial tree? Well, we used to have a real one. I looooooved going out and choosing it, watching as Dad cut it down, getting it home hanging out of the back of the car with me hanging on. The smell in the house was amazing, I just adored everything about it. Sadly my parents have decided to go back to plastic since we've moved :-(
3. When do you put up the tree? Where we used to live was a little town called Lobethal, every year there was a big festival called the Lights of Lobethal that started on a Sunday night around the 12th of December or so. We always put up the tree that weekend.
4. When do you take it down? New Years Day
5. Do you like eggnog? I have never had it. But, what with being raw vegan and all, I'd go with no.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? Possibly my bike? Too hard, there's too many.
7. Do you have a nativity scene? Definitely not
8. Hardest person to buy for? Grandparents
9. Easiest person to buy for? My friend Alycia
10. Worst Christmas present you ever got? Geez I don't know.
11. Mail or email Christmas cards? I like to give them out by hand, personally.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? A MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL!! The Dickens classic, done by the Muppet gang. I love it and my parents bought the DVD for me a couple of years ago. I watch it every single year!
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? When I see something that looks good for a particular person.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? Well I gave away a soap for someone's birthday recently, I can't remember whether it was a Christmas or birthday pressie though.
15. Favorite thing to eat on Christmas? Strawberries. Wouldn't be christmas without them!
16. Clear lights or colored on the tree? Both.
17. Favorite Christmas song? I had never thought about it. I don't know!
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? Well, never travel actually on holiday or anything. I've always had Christmas morning at home; we used to rotate between Christmas lunch at our house, my auntie's and my Grandma's, then go to my Nanna's on boxing day. Now that we live on the other side of the country... it'll be a day at home. I would like to volunteer at an animal shelter too, I think it'd be hard to get volunteers on Christmas day.
19. Can you name all of Santa's Reindeer? No
20. Angel or star on top of tree? It's a fairy. My Nanna used to tell me it was a fairy that went away to see Father Christmas and tell him whether I'd been good or not.
21. Open presents Christmas Eve or morning? Morning, with my parents anyway. We take turns to open pressies. At my Nanna's I have a special crown that my Grandad made when I was about 2 years old, I wear that and hand out all the presents to everyone.
22. Most annoying thing this time of year? Just how materialistic everyone gets.
23. Do you decorate your tree in any theme or color? Mum tried it a few times but I always came along and put other things on, lol!
24. What do you leave for Santa? My main concern was always just leaving carrots for the reindeer!
25. Shopping? I love to buy handmade things at markets; but my favourite option is buying through aid organisations like Oxfam. What you do is buy a card that says "on your behalf, a ... (eg mosquito net, bars of soap, well for a village etc) has been purchased. Awesome!
26. Do you decorate outside for Christmas or just inside (or at all?) Everywhere! As we used to live in Lobethal with the Lights festival, decorating the outside of the house was very important and it still is.
27. Favorite Christmas cookie? I've never eaten cookies at Christmas.
28. Do you own Christmassy clothing or jewelry? When I was little I always had ear-rings with bells dangling from them, but not anymore.
29. Do you believe in Santa? No and if I was going to have kids (which I'm not but anyway...) I would never tell them he exists. I just don't agree with the whole lying thing anymore. Not that I have any issues with anyone who does though!! :-)

Have a great weekend everyone!

2 Comments:

At 4:45 am, Blogger . said...

I totally agree with you on the lying thing. My daughters always knew that Santa was fiction. I wasn't going to feed them all that commercial crap anyway. Mind you, I did try with fairies and I think they may believe...... Fairies are real though! ;-)

Michele aka Stargirl.

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger bazu said...

Your christmas traditions sound lovely! I wish I lived somewhere where strawberries were available this time of year!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home