Saturday, November 17, 2007

A Questionnaire!



Ooooo, I do love doing these questionnaires! I very rarely actually do them but I always want to; since it is Vegan MoFo, I'm going to do the one that is doing the rounds! But I changed it up a bit to compensate for my raw-ness - the original is in brackets after my adaptation.

1. Favorite home-made nut (non-dairy) milk? I haven't had any nut milk in AGES! I looove coconut milk but coconuts aren't, technically speaking, nuts so that doesn't count. I used to make a brazil/hazelnut blend that was divine.

2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to make(cook)? Well, Ani Phyo's new recipe book is on its way across the country towards me as we speak (very belated birthday gift), so I'm sure there will be a few things from there. I'm going to make Apple Flax Cookies (a final test run before the recipe goes in the e-book) in the next few days, plus I want to make myself some 'spag-bol' because I haven't had any in AGES.

3. Topping of choice for popcorn? Yeah there's not much I can do with this one... :-)


4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
Oh, last year only a little while after going raw I made some samosas, using a recipe I found online. I don't know what it was but the were DREADful! Ick.

5. Favorite pickled item? I have had kim-chee at a few raw picnics - it's nice, but waaaaay too salty for me.

6. How do you organize your recipes? Well my recipe books are alphabetised in the book shelf, like all the other books. I used to have a folder that I put recipes in that I printed off the net (in meal groupings, alphabetised) but I don't really print recipes off any more. Mostly I keep them neatly filed in my brain! :-)


7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Oooh, I'll have to post you a photo of our compost pits! We've only been living in this house a few months, so we don't have great compost yet, but they're coming along well. And I"m super proud of the walls I built around them. I couldn't be without compost, really, because I don't generate any rubbish that isn't plant based!

8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods...what would they be (don't worry about how you'll cook them)? No, I won't worry about how to cook them! Bananas and silverbeet, to make green smoothies, and persimmons.

9. Fondest food memory from your childhood? Wow I don't know. Food wasn't a big deal for me growing up (My Mum is a terrible cook!) Oh wait, it is very very un-raw vegan but... making meat pies with my grandad. We used to make 'pimples' out of the dough and decorated the tops of the pie with them!

10. Favorite vegan ice cream? Mmmm, banana ice cream with little chunks of cacao butter in. Or plain, plain is good!

11. Most loved kitchen appliance? Food processor, blender, coffee grinder attachment for blender (I LOVE this!).

12. Spice/herb you would die without? I'll go with the only one I really use - parsley. But I don't think I'd DIE without it ;-)

13.Recipe (Cook) book you have owned for the longest time? The first raw recipe book I got was 'Detox Delights' by Shazzie.

14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly? I can't do much with this one either, lol. :-)

15. Favorite raw (vegan) recipe to serve to an omni friend? I don't do this often. But flax crackers with guac are always a big hit. Oh and the aforementioned banana ice-cream is always well received.

16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh? Well, I'll go back to when I was a cooked vegan - it was tofu. Never had seitan, (you can't buy it packaged here in Aus) and found tempeh frankly revolting. Tofu, I loved. I ate firm tofu plain, straight from the packet. Now that makes me cringe but then - yum!

17. Favorite meal to make (cook) (or time of day to cook)? Well I have to go with dinner because breakfast and lunch are eaither smoothies or plain fruit.

18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator? This thing that has something to do with our broadband connection (if the internet won't connect, there's a switch you turn on and off), a bunch of wires that relate to the phone somehow and probably a lot of dust.

19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking. Ice-cubes, 2 leftover raw chocolate crackles, little ice packs to keep food cool when travelling.

20. What's on your grocery list? Well I shop almost exclusively at an organic market so I sorta get what's available - no list. And I went this morning, so I don't need anything just at the moment. Most important things I get each week are bananas (a good 5 kilos or so), leafy greens (kale, silverbeet, chard etc), lettuces, avocados. Heaps of other stuff too.

21. Favorite grocery store? Alive Organics!!!


22. Name a recipe you'd love to rawify (veganize), but haven't yet.
Hmmm, tough one. I truly can't think of anything - there is nothing I miss! :-)


23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa's because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Where's The Revolution; Yeah, That 'Vegan' Shit; Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan.

24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate? FRUIT! Nature's candy! ;-)


25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
Oh geez. Probably organic in-shell walnuts the other week. They were pretty costly!

26. Veganaise or Nayonaise?
Home-made cashew mayonnaise thanks!


27. What is one recipe or ingredient or cooking technique that you've become familiar with in the last year that you can't imagine you ever lived without?
Okay I'm going to cheat a bit here... I've now been 100% raw for about 1 year 3 months and I think it is the best food prep technique in the universe. YAY for raw!

28. Do you have a food inspiration in your life? Someone who taught you a lot about making a certain dish, or about food prep in general, or someone who taught you how to truly enjoy food? It can be someone you know or a book author, speaker...anything. I don't really have an answer to this question but I want to hear other people's answers! If you do, leave a comment!


29. Make up your own question to put here (and answer it!)

3 Comments:

At 3:23 am, Blogger bazu said...

Reading your posts always makes me so hungry! You can make raw jams, right? Some fruit purees, maybe some dates or agave for added sweetness and body? By the way, what is silverbeet? I've never met a green veggie I don't like, so I wonder if I've tried this, by another name...

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Hi Bazu! With regards to raw jam... well, yes I could make a fruit puree. In fact I have done in the past, when I made buckwheat pancakes - I made a berry 'jam' to go on top (hungry yet, lol? :-) But then, that was a fruit puree, not a jam, wasn't it? This is a question I always have when making a raw dish, eg pizza - what actually defines 'pizza'? SO, does the boiling part of jam making become part of the definition of jam? If so, I can't make jam. Ahhh, so much room for confusion, lol!
I have a feeling you might know silverbeet as chard, perhaps? I know... I'll do a post all for you!

 
At 8:54 pm, Blogger Unknown said...



Keep it up
http://www.kuwait.prokr.net/
http://www.emirates.prokr.net/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home