Friday, November 23, 2007

My Island Foods
Well, this post was inspired by Bazu of Where's the Revolution and her question regarding my response to one of the question's in yesterday's questionnaire (well, actually, two of my responses). Her question: what's silverbeet? I was shocked - I thought silverbeet was silverbeet the whole world over. But really, I should have known better, shouldn't I?



Now, here is a bunch on silverbeet that I bought at the markets last week... already know what it is? Well, if you don't it's okay because I referred to the wonderful Wikipedia and found 'Chard (Beta vulgaris var. cicla), also known as Swiss Chard, Silverbeet, Perpetual Spinach, or Mangold.' So there you go Bazu - I guess you know it as Chard. Oh and the explanation for why it is known as 'Swiss' chard is great: 'Swiss Chard received its name after an epidemic of flea beetles (A. nigriscutis) had an immensely destructive, resulting in a resemblance to swiss cheese.'

Silverbeet is one of the three foods that I chose to take with me if I were stranded on an island, along with bananas to make delicious green smoothies. YUM! I'm drinking one as I write... this one has a medjool date in there too, to make it super yummy, but I only got to take three things so I left dates behind, lol!

Sorry for the short post but I'm having a minor disaster in the fur family today so I'll write more later. Have a stunning day everyone!

5 Comments:

At 4:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what does silverbeet taste like? and do u know what its vitamin/mineral content is? ♥

 
At 5:23 am, Blogger shannonmarie said...

Thanks for posting your answers to that questionnaire. I hope you don't mind, but I posted my answers, too, on my Nov. 18th blog at www.rawdorable.blogspot.com.

I also suggested to my readers to post their answers on their blogs. I don't know how many others have done so, but one posted them in the comments section. You should check it out.

Thanks again :-)

 
At 9:33 am, Blogger bazu said...

When you left the comment on my blog that silverbeet is swiss chard, I thought, I'd definitely take that with me to my deserted island, too! I love the stuff (I'll just try not to think of the flea infestation...)

=)
Thanks for this post!

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

michael kors outlet online
instyler
occhiali oakley
nike uk
fitflops
kate spade uk
eyeglasses
pandora uk
ralph lauren uk
converse
2017.11.30chenlixiang

 
At 10:31 am, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0607
air more uptempo
louboutin shoes
dolce and gabbana
true religion outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors
air huarache
nike store
coach outlet
nike store

 

Post a Comment

<< Home