Thursday, April 05, 2007

I have lots of Food!
Hello everyone! I finally have lots of yummy new pictures to share with everyone so please sit back and enjoy!



Firstly, I showed you some of my fruit from the market last week so I thought this week you might like to check out some green stuff. THere's broccoli, parsley, corn, cucumber, sweet potato leaves... YUM!



This is a recipe from Shazzie's 'Detox Your World' (I know, I know, I haven't made any Shazzie recipes for AGES!!) It is simply called Cucumber Salad and the ingredients are actually only supposed to me cucmber, raw tahini, lemon juice and paprika. I made the dressing as written (well, mostly - I never ever make a recipe with exact amounts, mainly because they are rarely written for more than one person), however, my idea of a 'salad' is not just cucmber coated with dressing, so I added some other non-sweet fruits, yummy home-grown tomatoes and crunchy organic red capsicum (bell pepper). I very rarely use dried spices in recipes but I chucked in a little bit of paprika, less than called for. Unfortunately, I was using home grown lemons and i tend to forget that they have a MUCH stronger flavour than normal (even organic) lemons and so I had to add more tahini, some water and coconut water to the dressing to try and get rid of the overpowering lemony sourness. It was okay in the end and the salad overall was nice, but it would have been better with less lemon!!



On Monday I was feeling like 'pasta' with an avocadoey sort of sauce. Well no, I 'll be honest - what I really wanted was to eat a big faat bowl of guacamole, which in my mind is actually just a big fat bowl of blended avocado since I don't add much to my guacamole. Sadly, this is not exactly what I wanted. By no means was it bad, in fact it was very nice, but much more tomatoey than what I wanted. I'll post the recipe on my other blog anyway though.



There was a long conversation on the Raw Pleasure forums the other day about someone craving an apple and cinnamon flavour combination, in any form. Someone suggested just slicing apples and drizzling them with agave nectar then sprinkling cinnamon on top. I wasn't enthralled by this or anything but felt like something a bit different to what I normally eat so I made myself some date sauce (don't use agave) and mixed it up with apples sliced on my mandoline and a sprinkling of mesquite meal instead of cinnamon, plus a few raisins. It was nice but nothing stunning - I would have preferred eating some apples, some raisins and some dates separate from each other. I'll post that recipe on my other blog too though.

10 Comments:

At 7:01 am, Blogger aTxVegn said...

Your fresh produce looks wonderful! I'm not familiar with sweet potato leaves. Do you just put them into a salad? Your salad with tahini dressing looks delicious. I love apples with cinnamon. I'll check out your recipe with date sauce.

 
At 7:16 pm, Blogger Jennie said...

Hi Freedom. All your photos look great as usual. Are you still using your jar of raw tahini or have you started making your own? I thought I'd give it a go. I've got an Oscar Vitalmax. Do you have any idea what should go into it apart from soaked sesame seeds?

Big hugs!

 
At 10:41 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks atxvegan, I think it's pretty too! I wasn't familiar with sweet potato leaves until recently, I picked up this bunch of green things at the organic farmers market and said 'what are these?" it was explained to me that they taste like spinach but are more nutritious (I didn't think it got much more nutritious than spinch!!) I am in love with them now. I mostly put them in green smoothies but have had them in salads too, they they are yummy!

Hi Jen, I am indeed still going on the jar of tahini that I bought from RP way back at the beginning of december, and my black tahini is going strong too, although (tragically) my almond butter tan out a few weeks ago.
I would love to make my own tahini and nut butters. As far as I know, when using a champion juicer, oscar or similar (which are just waaaaay out of my price range!) you just run the nuts/seeds through it using the 'blank plate' and that gets you your paste/butter - no other ingredients required. Good luck!

 
At 7:23 am, Blogger Valerie Winters said...

That is so interesting about the sweet potato leaves. Thanks for sharing.
VW

 
At 2:34 am, Blogger THE WALK-IN said...

Your fresh foods look so yummy! Can't wait to try them out. You are such an inspiration!

 
At 4:47 am, Blogger urban vegan said...

RAW-some!

 
At 12:38 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Freedom, the food looks wonderful!!!

 
At 10:03 am, Blogger bazu said...

Sweet potato leaves: add to the list of "must try"
Cool!

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger Candi said...

Freedom, your foods look so great. I'm curious about agave. You mention you don't use it, and I was curious as to why? I like the idea of using dates as a sweetener! I use raw blue agave lots but love the date idea too!!!

Oh avocados!!!! I had one (and tomoto, corn, & onions) for dinner tonight. I love them!

 
At 1:56 am, Blogger Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan! said...

ok, that was weird. it wouldn't let me post that comment as me, but now everything looks fine.

so yeah...that last anonymous post? that was me ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home