Friday, March 16, 2007

Back Again
Oh dear I did it again didn't I... promised to post more often and then completely did the opposite. I really really want to keep my blog going but I am soo busy at university - and I figure if I only post once a fortnight I'm going to lose most of the small readership I did have. But I'll keep doing it anyway! :-) If you do stop by, please please leave a comment. It really is exciting getting them!



Okay so now I have some food for you. FIrst of all, I decided to take a photo of some of the scrumptious FREE home grown mangoes that I mentioned in my last post. As you can see, some of them are totally humungous! I honestly think that I have now eaten at least $100 worth of mangoes... I mean, these are basically organic and I would pay $3-4 each for some of these mangoes so if you added it up, that would be heaps! And they are a trillion times nicer than any organic mango i have ever bought. Oh don't get me started talking about them... *drool*



This is a salad which I find very exciting because a number of the ingredients were grown by me! You can't see the greens in this picture, because they're right at the bottom of the bowl, but they are mainly borage and dandelion greens (yum!) which I grew. Then there is some corn, which I did not grow - I did try and grow corn, but for some reason it didn't quite finish growing - the kernels stayed really small and dry and ick. But my guinea pigs liked it! :-) Next there are tomatoes, which I did grow - we had 32!! tomato plants. I was trying to keep track of how many tomatoes I've eaten but I'm not sure anymore. They are so yummy! And (like everything else in the veggie garden) they're heirloom variety. Yay! There are also some mung beans, which I didn't actually grow myself but I did sprout them so that's kinda growing... There's coconut, which obviously I didn't grow (oh how I wish I had a coconut palm!) and then grated carrot, which I did grow. My carrots have gone quite well I think, considering we don't really have the best soil for root vegetables (it's super sandy).

Tomorrow is a very exciting day for me. I volunteer at an organisation called PAWS (People and Animal Welfare Society) and they are holding their inaugural 'Big Veg Out - The Cruelty Free Lifestyle festival.' It's going to be a day full of awesome vegan food and drink, health and beauty products and cool local music... plus I am having a raw vegan stall with samples, information and uncooking demos! In a future post, I will present some pictures of the day.

Now last of all, I posted a new recipe on my recipe blog the other day, so check it out here: Mushroom Pizzas.

Have an amazing week everyone and I promise to post again in the not too distant future!

17 Comments:

At 4:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a tasty looking salad. You grew so many things! I never manage to grow anything. Last summer I had a few lettuce leaves, but that's about it. It must be really rewarding to grow your own food.

 
At 8:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Posting a comment as instructed! :) I am an Aussie living in the UK, and i love reading your blog. It is a slice of home. Please do keep posting when you can!

Have a great weekend, hope the PAWS day went well.

M

 
At 8:52 pm, Blogger Jennie said...

Hey Freedom. I love your blog also! And if you can only make it to post once a fortnight that's ok. It just makes it sooooo exiting when I do eventually find a post here! Well done with the gardening. And with managing your superbusy lifestyle. That salad looks delish. Did you have a dressing on it? Yummmm. I've made your mushroom pizzas three times. They are sooooo good! Even hubby loves em. Thanks for the recipe.

xoxoxoxo

 
At 1:38 pm, Blogger Mary said...

I love mangos!!! They are so yummy.

Don't know if you remember, but I was the girl who tried doing raw for a week. Anyways, I've incorporated more raw foods into my diet and I love looking at your blog. It's a really big help to see what others do on a raw diet. Keep us updated!

 
At 11:01 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hi Emmie, a few lettuce leaves is better than nothing, lol! :-) It is very rewarding, not to mention yummy!

Hey M, thanks for the comment! Where are you living in the UK? I was born here in Aus but both my parents are England-born and lotsw of my family still lives there.

Jen I'm glad it's exciting for you! I am pretty busy but I know people at uni who are MUCH busier, so I sometimes feel a bit guilty. The dressing on the salad is super simple and delish - orange juice! Soon our lemons will be ripe so I could use that and have another home grown addition, although they might not appease my sweet tooth lol! I'm so glad you like the mushie pizzas!

Mary the cat lover, of course I remember you! I have been checking in on your blog when I get the chance, it's great that you've got it going again. Keep up the great work and raw food intake! Oh yes, mangoes are just divine!

 
At 6:31 am, Blogger erica said...

Hi Freedom
I am just a few month old raw (if that makes sense), about 50% at the moment. That's so exciting you know someone with a mango tree, we just got a new girl at my office who has a fig tree. I have a plum tree, and am planning on proposing a trade in the summer months. Hopefully they will turn out this year, last year they rotted on the branches before they even ripened. It was so heartbreaking, I'm sure you can imagine ;P

~Erica

 
At 7:24 am, Blogger Valerie Winters said...

You lucky duck! Free Mangos. I’m so jealous. Great photos.
VW

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger Candi said...

Whoa! Your salad looks SO good! I'm so impressed with how much of that you grew or sprouted yourself!! It tastes better when you grew the food yourself!

Those mangoes... you are so lucky!

 
At 4:56 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Lookin' GOOD Freedom!! Nicely done. The mangoes look amazing. Keep up the great work. And by all means, post when you can! We'll be here!

 
At 3:03 am, Blogger My Heart On My Sleeve said...

I want to share my salsa recipe with you for all your wonderful tomatoes. It is the main reason I planted tomatoes this year :)

Tomatoes diced (and peeled if desired).
Garlic diced.
Jalepenos diced
Cilantro chopped
Green onions sliced thin
Sea salt

all these ingredients are to taste

I hope you enjoy it!

 
At 4:23 pm, Blogger Divine Mystic Yogi Celestial said...

~*~ Greetings My Green Raw Vegan Sister! ~*~ I'm A Green Raw Vegan Too ~ Dedicated To Saving And Protecting ALL Beloved Animals And Creatures {And Mother Earth} From Barbaric, Selfish, Cruel, Toxic, All~Destructive Humans!

I *LOVE* Your BLOG! I Have Your
Awesome BLOG Listed In The Links
On My Blogspot BLOG! I Just Created
My BLOG On March 17th 2007. On
St. Patrick's Day ~ Leprechaun's Green Day! Just A Few Days Ago.

My BLOG Has Tons Of Interesting Links... Come Take A Peek! ~*~

 
At 7:15 am, Blogger bazu said...

That is so cool to eat a salad comprised of all the things you grew. Now that spring is here, I can begin thinking about gardening again! And the mangoes... we won't go into how much I'm drooling...

 
At 11:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How much do you spend on groceries?

 
At 7:19 pm, Blogger Raw Yogini in Japan said...

I just love, love, love your blog

 
At 8:04 am, Blogger Sheree' said...

Your salad looks wonderful. I need to plant soon. I bought my seeds and just need to get things prepared. Enjoy your PAWS gathering. Sounds like fun!

 
At 4:31 am, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

hey there,

Post when you can, school is a lot work. I'm just checking in again.

We can't get mangos like that here, I'm so jealous.

The salad look so fresh and delicious. It is very cool that you grew your own veggies. What exactly is borage? I use borage oil in my soap sometimes.

 
At 3:17 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

zhengjx20160630
abercrombie outlet
oakley outlet
gucci outlet
nike free uk
oakley outlet
nike air force 1 white
adidas running shoes
designer handbags
christian louboutin sale clearance
oakley outlet
oakley sunglasses outlet
ray ban sunglasses uk
toms shoes
jordan 3s
louis vuitton outlet
oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses
louis vuitton handbags
fit flops
jordan 6s
louboutin femme
louis vuitton outlet
coach outlet
kids lebron shoes
adidas nmd
kobe shoes
adidas running shoes
kate spade outlet
coach outlet
jordan retro 4
christian louboutin sale
burberry handbags
michael kors outlet
nike air max 90
christian louboutin shoes
burberry outlet
lebron 12
michael kors purses
abercrombie and fitch
hollister clothing store

 

Post a Comment

<< Home