Sunday, December 03, 2006

Utter raw vegan Excitement



I'm sorry... (*hanging head in shame*) I haven't posted in days. What a naughty girl I am. I have no decent excuse either - well, I couldn't post yesterday because I went out earlyish in the morning to go hand out information on factory farming at supermarkets. It was lots of fun! We got chased away by security gaurds after a while, but we were effective before hand.
Anyway, I'd better share my unbelievable excitement with you now... I HAVE RAW ALMOND BUTTER AND TAHINI!!! I'm generally pretty opposed to anything that comes pre-packaged, and I also don't eat any 'fractured' foods, eg olive, flax, sesame or coconut oil (even though they're raw, I figure, if I want coconut oil then I'll just eat coconut). But I have been desperately waiting for more than 2 MONTHS to be able to get raw almond butter and tahini here in Australia. I still had to order it from Queensland (which is about the furthest place from me that is still in the country, lol!) but I have it. And it is DELICIOUS!!! So worth the 2 months waiting and $30 price tag. (yes I know, it is really expensive!) The tahini is rather more bitter than 'normal' tahini, and took a little adjusting, but I love it. The almond butter, well, I just about collapsed on the floor in a fit of deliciousness. Now I'm kinda trapped, because I want to eat it and eat it and eat it, but I never want to run out! :-) But last night I decided I had to make something with it, and went for this, which can be found here.

Ingredients

Makes
Enough for 2 as a side dish or one for a meal
1 zucchini, peeled
1 yellow squash, peeled
1 carrot, peeled
1 cup broccoli florets
2 heaped tablespoons raw almond butter
2 teaspoons raw agave nectar
Curry paste to taste
2-4 tablespoons water (depending on desired consistency)
Salt (optional to taste)

Methods/steps
1. Slice all vegetables (except broccoli) lengthwise using a mandolin
with a julienne blade (stopping at seeds)
2. Put all in a bowl and toss slightly
3. Top noodles with broccoli florets and set bowl aside
4. In a small bowl or cup, mix together almond butter, agave nectar,
curry paste, water and salt until creamy
5. Pour sauce over broccoli and noodles

Additional Tips
Note: 4 tablespoons of water creates a thinner sauce. Nama Shoyu may be
used as a substitute for salt. If you have a high speed blender you can
also use whole almonds instead of almond butter.

Variation: Top with sliced almonds for a fancier looking dish




But I changed it a bit:

-sweet potato instead of squash
-mashed up date instead of agave
-sprinklings of turmeric, cumin and ground mustard seed instead of curry paste
-combination of water and young coconut water
-no salt
-plus I used less of the zucchini, sweet potato and carrot

It was GOOD!! Not that anything with almond butter wouldn't be...

I made the No-Bean Hummus from RAWVolution the first day I had my tahini but I was so desperate to try it that I didn't take a picture. I regret that, because it looked really good. I really want to make some 'real' hummus too though, so I'd better sprout some chickpeas!

There were two more massively exciting things that happened this week... no wait, three! And those are just the MASSIVELY exciting things! Goodness I love being a raw vegan! But unfortunately I will have to post them tomorrow, as I am busking on my clarinet at a market this morning, so I have to go and get ready. But I will leave you with a picture of a super-delicious green smoothie I made on Thursday. It is based on the Gorgeously Green recipe from Detox Delights by Shazzie and contains wheatgrass, lettuce, kiwi fruit, frozen banana, water and young coconut water. I grew the wheatgrass myself and it is SOOOO good. YUM!

Edit: Hmmm, green smoothie photo seems to have disappeared. Oh well, just imagine a glass full of green stuff!

8 Comments:

At 3:47 am, Blogger Jen said...

Hi! Do you know that you're featured on Shazzie's blog? I'm imagining this is one of the utterly exciting things that's happened... but in case you haven't seen it yet, go check out her blog!

 
At 8:36 pm, Blogger Candi said...

Beautiful dish! I saved the recipe! Thanks for sharing! i love almond butter too.

I have never prepared food with coconut water. I assume you get it fresh from the coconut? That might sound stupid, but I envisioned it in cans, and that just didn't sound right. Lol!

Anyhow, I can't wait to hear of the other news you have!!!

 
At 1:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i came across your blog looking for raw vegan salad dressing, and then decided to read your blog. turns out it just says "salad dressing" but that you didn't make any of them in that book? s'all good, i still decided to read on.. :P

as for almond butter... if you have a food processor, you can buy your own raw almonds, shelled or in shell depending on your preference, and make it yourself with the S-blade, removing the shells of course lol. the only hard part about that is having to stop the machine and push down the sides every now and then. you can add sea salt or a natural sweetener if you so choose but i find if you find good, fresh, organic almonds that it needs nothing at all. sometimes prepacked nut butters have added salt/sweeteners.

i find that in making it yourself, it is a LOT fresher than when you get store bought, even the best quality kind. i still have to test that out with tahini, as i want to use black sesame tahini in recipes but it's expensive to buy prepacked so i would rather make it myself to save on costs and have it be healthier.

i use coconut oil and love it but i am not 100% raw, but have an emphasis on raw. coconut would be an excellent thing to add to your diet, and it tastes divine! it's just hard work getting at it.. i still have to find young coconuts in my area, they're easier to work with. i'm in canada.

well just thought i'd say hey and give an idea about almond butter. i also make my own almond milk. i love almonds! lol. see ya.

try it out!

 
At 11:37 am, Blogger Sascha said...

Could you tell me where to get raw peanut paste, almond past and tahini in Perth or in Australia or in the world??!!

Thanks so much

 
At 8:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, like sascha, i wondered if you would share where you found the raw almond butter, as i've been searching for where to order it from..

 
At 1:59 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Having read this I believed it was rather informative
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/spraying-pesticides-anti-insects-company-in-qassim.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/pesticides-spray-anti-insect-company-riyadh.html

 
At 8:50 pm, Blogger fananas said...


شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل
هل تعلم أن نقل الأثاث يسبقه بعض التجهيزات الهامة؟ هل تستوعب مدى أهمية تلك التجهيزات في تسهيل عملية النقل؟ يمكنك من خلال شركة نقل اثاث بالجبيل أن تتعرف على فن نقل الأثاث والتجهيزات التي تسبق النقل بكل دقة.
حيث يوضح خبراء الشركة تفاصيل نقل الأثاث على النحو الآتي:
• مرحلة تجهيز الأثاث من أجل نقله: وفي هذه المرحلة يتم حصر الأثاث وتسجيل عدده بدقة، ومن ثم البدء في تفكيكه ثم الاستعانة بمواد التغليف لحفظه بطريقة شديدة الإحكام.
• مرحلة حمل الأثاث وتنزيله: في هذه المرحلة يتم توفير أسلوب آمن من أجل خروج الاثاث من المنزل القديم ووضعه بعربات تحميل الأثاث للانطلاق به إلى مكان المنزل الجديد.
• مرحلة نقل الأثاث إلى المكان الجديد: وفي هذه المرحلة يتم استخدام الرافعات العملاقة لرفع الأثاث إلى نوافذ المنزل الجديد، ومن ثم إدخاله بالكامل ومن ثم تركيب كل غرفة في مكانها الجديد.
شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام
شركة نقل اثاث بالخبر
شركة نقل اثاث بالقطيف
شركة تخزين اثاث بالجبيل
هل تعلم أن شركة تخزين اثاث بالجبيل حائرة على شهادات عالمية نظرًا لاتباعها المقاييس العالمية في حفظ الأثاث بكل دقة، فهي من الشركات التي تتماشى مع كل جديد وتقني يخص فن تخزين الأثاث، فإذا كنت راغب في تخزين اثاث منزلي لن تجد إطلاقًا أفضل من تلك الشركة.
فقد سبق وتعامل معها العديد من العملاء الذين عبروا عن إعجابهم وامتنانهم البالغ بخدمات تلك الشركة التي تركز في كافة أعمال تخزين الأثاث على جودة تغليف الأثاث وفنية رص الأثاث وتوفير مخازن بمقاييس دقيقة للغاية كي تتوفر حماية مؤكدة للاثاث.
أما عن تكاليف تخزين الأثاث بالشركة فهي في مقدور كل مواطن سعودي ذات وضع مادي متوسط، اطلب خدمتك عبر الهاتف نصلك سريعًا.
شركة تخزين اثاث بالدمام
شركة تخزين اثاث بالخبر
شركة تخزين اثاث بالقطيف

 
At 5:30 pm, Anonymous erectile dysfunction causes said...

Hi i am kavin, its my first occasion to commenting anyplace, when i read this post i thought i could also make comment due to this brilliant post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home