Friday, July 21, 2006

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme
A Veg*n Meme

What wonderful foods did you bring home from the grocery store?

Midweek Munchies: What Freedom is contributing for the week



I am soo happy with my MwM list this week - I only bought two packaged items! One was my baby spinach and the other was the vanilla bean! Yay! I love being raw - I feel so incredible. I also have the best story to share from the wholefoods shop yesterday (where I did most of my shopping).Before I start, I'll just tell you that this is a total 'hippie' shop (probably all wholefoods places are) where I feel soo at home - I'm not big on labels but I'm a self-proclaimed hippie and I love it when my grandparents tell me I belong in the 1960s :-) Okay back to the story. There was a youngish couple and their cute little girl (about 4 or 5 I guess), all dressed in great 'hippie' outfits rather similar to mine and as they discussed whether to buy pumpkin or not, the little girl carefully chose a delicious looking organic mango and then stood clutching it and begging her Dad to buy it while he patiently explained that that one mango cost $6!!! and he was sorry but that was just too much. I missed the end of the conversation (although I'm pretty sure she didn't get the mango) but I just thought it was wonderful that here was a child who was pestering for not a chocolate bar or packet of chips (not even vegan chocolate or low fat corn chips) but simply one of natures most delicious foods, a fresh piece of fruit. It gave me some hope for the future of our society.
Now, after that let me tell you what lovely food I bought this week. It came from a variety of sources but I can't be bothered separating so it's all going into one big blob! Oh, and once again the $ next to a food means it's organic.

$apples (pink lady)$
$apples (granny smith)$
$almonds$
almonds
$apricots$ (dried)
$bananas$
basil (fresh)
black-eyed peas
brazil nuts
$coconut dates$
corn
$dates (medjool, the big soft ones)$
figs (sunglazed - oh god these are incredible!!)
kiwi fruit
$macadamia nuts$
$oat groats$
$oranges$ (uncertified organic)
$raisins$
strawberries
vanilla bean
walnuts
watermelon (about 1/4 of one)

That was expensive but now that I look over it, not as bad as it could have been. Before I leave you for today, I'm going to tell you what I ate yesterday (still going for very low nut consumption - just a few in my breakfast):

Breakfast (6am): 1 Juliano oatmeal cookie, two cookies of my creation (recipes and pics on my other blog soon, I promise), one and a half oranges.

Lunch (12 noon): Another stunning fruit salad like the one I had on Wednesday.

Snack (3.45pm): 1 sun glazed fig (heaven), some raisins, 1 and 1/2 coconut dates (actually this was all heaven). I ate this standing under a bus shelter in the pouring rain while waiting for the bus after doing my shopping. Fun, but I wish I hadn't missed the earlier bus because it came seven minutes early. Why do they even have a timetable if they're not going to keep to it? GRrr.

Dinner (7.45pm): Superbly yummy salad - will post pics and more details tomorrow.

Bye everyone, happy midweek (end of week) munchies!

Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!

4 Comments:

At 1:38 pm, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

only 2 packaged items - that is super impressive! i'm going to try some of your raw recipes - the goodness is contagious.

 
At 6:58 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Nice going, Freedom. I like your buys, organic and raw! Good job, kiddo.

 
At 10:35 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey Vicki, I'm so happy that you've caught the raw bug :-) I can't explain how wonderful I'm feeling since going raw - just all round happy and wonderful. I want as many people as possible to experience what I am.

Thanks Kleo!

 
At 7:03 am, Blogger kaivegan said...

Wow, great list!

I love going raw too, although I've never gone past day 2. But I try to do raw once a week at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home