Sunday, July 23, 2006

My First Raw Picnic Experience
Oh wow I had an awesome, or should I say RAWSOME time at my first ever raw picnic today. Last time there were apparently 23 people present but today was considerably smaller, with just six. It was wonderful though, we all got to chat to each other and it was a nice intimate get together. I didn't get as many photos as I would like, but here are a few. The other people present were Jen (my naturopath), her partner Gary, his friend Matt (who cycled about 90km before the picnic this morning!!) a girl called Em and a guy called Rachan.

Jen bought an amazing kale salad (the green thing in the big bowl), which contained kale (obviously), tomato, cucumber, avocado, lemon juice, a little olive oil, sea salt, cayenne pepper and maybe something else...? She also bought an Un-choc cake which looked delicious but contained honey so I stayed away. I wasn't that bothered as it was apparently very rich and I was never a big fan of rich chocolatey things. Gary (with Jen's help, apparently :-) bought some delicious flax seed crackers which I NEED the recipe for.

Em bought some yummy dehydrated pineapple things with a small amount of chocolate filling that was really very nice and Rachan's contribution was a tomatoey guacamole with veggie sticks for dipping - it was nice but a little watery. He said he made it in a rush and it's normally nicer, but it was good.


And here is my addition to the whole thing, the Kumquat and Nutmeg Cheezecake. Everyone totally adored it (me included!) and all went back for seconds. Actually, thinking about it, Em and Matt didn't. But the others did. Anyway, doesn't it look totally amazing?! I'm so impressed with myself - sorry for sounding a bit full of myself but I was just so happy that I made something so successful on my first attempt at a really gourmet raw dish. The kumquat flavour wasn't very strong though, so if (when) I make it again, I'll use more.


I ate sooooo much today. Honestly, you would not believe that I had an eating disorder three weeks ago! I just can't believe how much going raw has changed me mentally. It's an incredible thing. Goodnight everyone, have a wonderful day!

7 Comments:

At 2:42 am, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Maybe because you are taking food for what it really is and you can maybe appreciate it more now and understand that substance is necessary, but in good, wholesome forms. Congrats on making that cake, you don't sound full of yourself, you sound proud of yourself. And you should be.

 
At 2:42 am, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:04 am, Blogger MeloMeals said...

Wow! that is amazing... (your raw cheezcake).. seriously, it looks very professional.

and it's wonderful that you are relaxing and enjoying food as nourishment now.

 
At 11:46 am, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Keep workin' on you... and be good to you.

Glad you enjoyed the picnic so much. It's lovely to see you so happy, Freedom.

 
At 9:09 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey Leslie, I definately agree with you on that one - my whole state of mind has altered.

Melody, thanks heaps for the cake compliments!

Thankyou Kleo, it is great to have people I've never met on the other side of the world who care about me.

*Hugs* to everyone!

 
At 5:18 am, Blogger Michelle said...

wow, that all looks fabulous! can i have some? ;)

 
At 7:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey :) that cheesecake looks AMAZING! would you mind sharing the recipe?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home