Sunday, May 21, 2006

My Exciting Life (and chili)
I don't know what you're expecting with that title... what could be so exciting? Well, to most people, the thing which has excited me greatly would probably not be very interesting at all, but for me it is so I'm sharing it with you. I have a vegan cookbook, in my house, right now. I don't own it (it's from the library) but I have it here. It is the third edition of Dreen Burton's (vegan kitchen goddess) The Everyday Vegan and it only just came to my local library - I believe I may actually be the first person to borrow it out ever. Here in Austrlia, veganism is nowhere near as common as it seems to be in America - many people don't even know what it is. The idea of seeing the word 'vegan' written anywhere other than a vegetarian restaurant or maybe wholefood store is ludicrous and vegan cookbooks don't exist in bookshops. Needless to say, my find in the library rendered me speechless and desperate to jump up and down.
Anyway, last night I made 'Cornmeal Chili Bake.' I imagine that Dreena probably would prefer it if I didn't post the recipe but you can all enjoy the photo.
To be honest, I didn't love it - I knew I was taking a risk because although I'm not a total spice-o-phobe, I'm also not a huge fan. I think I would have been nicer if I had been able to taste the flavours a little more rather than just worrying about the fact that my mouth was on fire, but that's just me. I have some frozen and will be taking for lunch at uni - hopefully the freezing/defrosting might reduce the spiciness a little. By the way, I don't know who she's serving but in the book it says 'Serves 5-6'... I made half the recipe and got enough for 1 dinner and 4 lunches! Sorry this post is a bit short, but I have only two weeks of semester left and work is getting heavy! I still have this cookbook for two more weeks, so you can eagerly await some more Dreena creations!

4 Comments:

At 10:20 pm, Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Hi Freedom! Just wanted to say that veganism isn't that common in the US either--it just seems common from looking at the internet. In real life, most people don't know what "vegan" means, and if you see it on a menu, it's almost always at a vegetarian restaurant. Our bookstore situation is a little better, though I still order most of mine over the internet.

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Well that's nice to know. I've just read on a few blogs (such as recently on Vegan lunchcast and Vegan lunchbox) that restaurants or food packages have vegan written on them. I guess those are just a minority. We can all dream of the day when people won't just stare blankly when you say "I'm vegan" :-)

 
At 12:44 am, Blogger Harmonia said...

This looks great! Dreena's a peach, isn't she?

Check out what I have posted today when you have time

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger primaryconsumer said...

Hello! I left the recipe for tofu sour cream in the comments section of saturday's blog, as per your request. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home