Sunday, May 28, 2006

Lentil Miso Patty and Sweet Potato
I still have Dreena Burton's The Everyday Vegan
(until next Thursday) and I'm trying to make the most of it, so last night I made lentil miso patties. I did change the recipe a bit - to start off with, I didn't have any red lentils so I used green ones, and I added spinach to the mixture (because you can't have a meal without leafy greens in it somewhere!) and I didn't have any ground coriander. But other than that, I followed the recipe - and it was REALLY good! It was also a major new-expereince meal, because I have never had hoisin sauce before and I only got miso for the first time last week and this is the second thing I've used it in. The other change I made was to grill the patty rather than frying it - with olive oil for frying the fat content of the patty was 2.7g, so I cut this back a little. So anyway, I strongly advise you to make this if you have access to this excellent recipe book!



Dreena advises in the book that this is not a patty which works well like a hamburger on a bun, so I decided to couple it with quite possibly my favourtie veggie, sweet potato. The beauty of this vegetable is that it's like having dessert but with no sugar or fat! I baked my sweet potato for about 35-40mins, then cut it open, poked some pieces of tinned pineapple into the top and sprinkled with ground nutmeg (the best accompaniment to sweet potato). Then stick it under the grill for 5-7 mins and enjoy. This was as good as I knew it would be!
Thanks for stopping by and have a good day everyone!

P.S Sorry about the bad photo - the batteries in my camera died and I had to use Dad's and it was all a big rush so I couldn't get a good shot, unfortunately. :-(

4 Comments:

At 12:11 am, Blogger primaryconsumer said...

Yum! I have the book, so thanks to you I'm going to make it soon. :)

 
At 8:22 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Your lucky to actually have the book - I'm not looking forward to returning it to the library! I definately recommend that you do make this.

 
At 4:12 am, Blogger karen said...

I've gotta open that book more often, I've been neglecting it. I'm going to try this- thanks!

 
At 1:15 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hi Karen, I'm glad I've motivated you to try this and thanks for stopping by the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home