Sunday, May 14, 2006


CZMs - Cool, Zinging, Marvellous Carob Zucchini Muffins
Okay so maybe they're not zingin' - good but not zinging - but how many adjectives start with 'z'? It was back to experimentation on Muffin Friday (in case you hadn't noticed, I bake one batch of muffins every week on Friday) this week and as I had half a zucchini sitting in the frisge, I decided to use it. **I actually forgot to add any spices to these muffins - I realised as soon as they went in the oven but it was a bit late then! So if making them again (which I 'might') then I would add about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp nutmeg. These muffins have helped me discover that I really love carob - I have never tried it before because as an omnivore/vegetarian I was never a big chocolate fan, but it is actually really nice. And virtually fat free! I actually split this recipe in half at the end and put carob chips in half and walnut in the other half, but the carob ones are much nicer. The picture came out really great too! So if you're looking for something a bit different, try these.

Ingredients:
- 1 2/3 cups self raising wholewheat flour
- 1/3 cup unbleached plain flour
- 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp vegan brown sugar
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg**
- 1/2 cup low fat soymilk
- 1/4 cup plus about2 tbsp water
- 1 scant tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- about 1/4 cup grated/ mashed zucchini (skin included is okay)
- carob chips to taste (I used a biggish handful)

Instructions:
Preheat a fan-forced gas oven to about 190 degrees Celsius (hotter if not fan-forced). In a large bowl combine the flours, baking powder, sugar and nutmeg. Place all the liquid ingredients in another bowl and whisk together with a metal whisk, then stir in the zucchini. Pour into dry ingredients and mix until just combined, then stir through the carob chips and place into silicone muffin pans. Bake for about 20 mins or until risen and slightly browned. Let cool slightly and enjoy!
This made about 9 medium muffins.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 pm, Blogger Harmonia said...

Yum, Yum, Yum. Oh! This reminds me! My mom used to make Zuchini squares but it had eggs in it...any vegan zuchini squares that you know of? HELP!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home