Monday, May 15, 2006


Asparagus and Kale with Delicious Ginger Sauce
I have recently come to love green vegetables - not just how they taste but they're beautiful, vibrant aliveness. (I eat them almost raw in most dishes). I have wanted to try asparagus for ages and finally bought some but I couldn't find any dishes that really appealed to me with it as the main ingredient, so I decided to make it up as I went. And I don't want to sound conceited but it was really amazingly delicious. I would love it if someone would try this recipe and tell me what you think - is it as good as I think it is, or am I just a bit jaded. Anyway, here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
For the sauce
- 1 tsp finely minced fresh ginger
- 1 small-medium clove garlic, crushed
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp blackstrap molasses
- dash lemon juice (I cheated, and used bottled)
- 3/4 tsp corn starch
- 3 or 4 tbsp water

- 3/4 tsp powdered veggie stock mixed with 1/4 cup boiling water
- 2 large leaves of kale, chopped
- 3 spears (or whatever you call them) of asparagus sliced diagonally
- 8 cashews
- as much rice vermicelli or other thin noodle as you want

Instructions:
Bring the veggie stock and water to a boil in a non-stick fry pan over medium heat and then add the asparagus. Let this cook for about 5 mins and while it is doing so, whisk together all the sauce ingredients. As the asparagus is getting a little bit tender, add in the chopped kale and then cook until the stock is all evaporated away. Add the cashews and fry for about one minute, stirring, then pour in the sauce and keep cooking and stirring. As the sauce is thickening, prepare the noodles. This may vary depending on what sort you're using - for me, this just meant place noodles in a bowl cover with boiling water and leave for 2 - 5 minutes then drain. When sauce is thickened to the desired consistency, drain noodles, place on plate, top with asparagus etc and enjoy!

P.S IF you're going to take a photo and you're noodles are white, don't use a white plate!

4 Comments:

At 10:54 pm, Blogger Harmonia said...

This sounds amazing! Thanks for the eye candy! Oh! My MwM is up!

 
At 2:30 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks Harmonia, I've checked out MM and mine is coming up. It's good to see you back and blogging!

 
At 12:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

 
At 12:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home