Friday, March 17, 2006



Hello. I have been extremely busy for the last month, what with moving across the country and starting university but from now on I am going to try and blog regularly, because I love reading everyone else's blogs so much.
I made a batch of muffins today and they were absolutely STUNNING!! My non-vegan father said they were "the best" (except when he bit into a whole clove... whoops). The recipie began its life as a Pumpkin Loaf from Vegcooking.com but finished up as sweet potato muffins.

A little side note now: sweet potatoes (also known as kumara and yams) are really, really yummy and they are my favourite veggie at the moment. If you have never tried them, you totally have to - buy one for this recipie and about five more to use in whatever way you can.

Okay, here is the recipie for the muffins:
Freedom's SPMs -
S
uperb, Perfect, Magical Sweet Potato Muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups self raising wholewheat flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup vegan brown sugar, minus about 1 1/2tbsp
  • 200g raw sweet potato
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 cup plain soymilk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 1 tsp cinnamon (or more if you love it like I do)
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp cloves (about five individual cloves)
  • 2 eggs worth of egg replacer
Instructions:
Peel and chop the sweet potato and place in a saucepan with 1 tsp sugar, cover with water and boil until tender and bright orange, 15-20mins.
In a big bowl mix the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda and then wait around getting bored until the sweet potato is ready. Drain the sweet potato, place in a medium sized bowl and mash, then mix in the applesauce, 'egg,' soymilk, vanilla essence, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. Scoop this into the dry ingredients and mix. It is important that you don't mix too much - I always used to read this in recipes and wonder what 'over mixing' was and why it mattered, but now I know. This mixture will be really light and kind of "foamy" but if you stir and stir and stir it will get smooth and runny, and your muffins won't rise very much.
Put the mixture into silicone muffin pans and bake for anywhere between 15 and 30 mins at 180 degrees celsius - it depends how you like your muffins. I didn't want to wait too long so I took them out a bit sooner than I would normally have and they were a little doughy, but then I love eating the ough before it goes in the oven so this didn't bother me!

Good luck with making them and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
(As you can see in the pictures, some of them are topped with cashews - I don't really know why I did this, I think it was mainly because we have lots of cashews in our house cause my mum loves them but she has begun a new diet to try and improve her health so she can't eat them anymore. I wouldn't normally use them because they are so high in fat.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home